Monday, February 28, 2011

Welcome to Khayelitsha






The view from the balcony
Today me and my friend Katie set off for Khayelitsha (Khayelitsha is a Township near Cape Town, South Africa see link) Getting to the township was an experience in itself. We boarded a mini bus taxi hoping to go in the direction of Cape Town. We were on the highway half way into town when the taxi pulled over. We were then shuffled onto another taxi where we crammed onto each others laps. After arriving in Cape Town we boarded our third mini bus tax with our destination being C- 685A Kiyane St, Khayelitsha (Site C). The mini bus roared down the highway and veered into the shandy town. Soon it was our stop and off we hopped. A friendly local walked us to our new address. Katie and I will be staying at the smallest bed and breakfast in South Africa.

The B & B I am staying at is actually more like a big family shack. Vicki, her husband and her daughter's: Siya (aged 5), Thandile (aged 10), Malandi (aged 13), Sandiswe (aged 14) and Landiswa (aged 20) and her son Ntsika (aged 8) all live in the shack. Along with members of the extended family such as Phiwo (aged 16) and Thando (aged 27) .

Within minutes of arriving we were welcomed by the real South Africa. Friendly locals, humidity, iron shacks and a different way of life. After dumping our bags we went next door to the Masakheni Fox Educare Centre. Masakheni's is where the beautiful children learn, laugh and play (see blog dated 1/2/11 titled Heartbreak Kids).

For lunch we went to an African butcher were we selected cuts of meat to be thrown on a braai. We then returned to the house and I once again had the privilege of eating meat and chakalaka with my hands.
After lunch I got an abrupt introduction to township life. Siya had a boil on her leg and I watched Vicki (her mum)and another lady hold her down to extract the puss with a hot glass bottle. Siya screamed, cried and howled. I went over and held her hand. It was heartbreaking to watch but their way of life is different. After the procedure was finished her mother held her and she was soon smiling.

As I sit here now in this wooden/iron shack I feel privileged to be able to immerse myself in a new culture

No comments:

Post a Comment