Saturday, February 12, 2011

Robben Island Maximum Security Prison

Entrance to the maximum security prison

Robben Island, South Africa (day 18)

Today I went to Robben Island a former maximum security prison. This concrete and limestone jungle held captive political prisoners like the great Nelson Mandela. As I walked through the corridors and stared into Nelson Mandela's prison cell I was reminded of how strong and resilient the human spirit can be.

As I listened to a former political prisoner tell his story I felt very small and humble. I asked myself If I would ever have the courage to fight that hard. He was only a kid when he was sentenced to imprisonment on Robben Island yet he stood strong.

I did not feel the heartache at Robben Island. Only the Triumph.


Section 3 corridor
Nelson Mandela's Prison Cell


"I am the product of Africa and her long-cherished view of rebirth that can now be realised so that all of her children may play in the sun."


"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."




2 comments:

  1. Wow must have been so amazing to be there! keep up this blog mons. I feal like im going on the journey with you!!!

    ReplyDelete