Thursday, February 17, 2011

Inyama, Pap and Chakalaka

Gugulethu, South Africa (day 24)

Today I went to Gugulethu an African township for a REAL South African meal. I have to admit I have been very sheltered in Table View a affluent suburb near Cape Town. It would be easy for a tourist to come to Cape Town and gain absolutely no understanding of the challenges and povery people face.

So I was very excited to visit an eatery situated amongst the shandy houses of Gugulethu. First we went into a back shed were we selected the meat we wanted cooked on a traditional braai. Then we sat at tables where cool water was sprayed from the roof to keep the customers cool. Music played out of a car bonnet geared with a boom box. There were flys, ferril dogs and a gay Xhosa waiter it was brilliant. Then the Inyama (meat), pap and chakalaka arrived and I have to admit it was the best lunch I have ever had. My favourite part was being allowed to eat with my hands.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Monie - Sam said he also had the best Lebanese meal ever at a restaurant with mum and I on Saturday night! lol

    ReplyDelete