Friday, January 28, 2011

The Cape Peninsular

Cape Peninsular, South Africa (day 3)

I spent the day touring the Cape Peninsular with the girls I will be working with. As I said earlier Cape Town is similar to Australia. They have even imported eucalyptus trees and scattered them across the coast line. It wasn't till I spent the day exploring that I began to notice the differences. The townships that consist of houses made of scrap metal, the sign that says do not feed the baboons they are dangerous and the barb wire that protects every house.

There a security guards every where in Cape Town. Today I went to a cookie factory which I am sure was just a cover for something really dodge. I had to go through metal detectors and there was a generous number of security guards. I can't imagine there are many arm hold ups for cookies; anyhow it made for an interesting experience and the cookies were good. 

As part of the tour we went to Table Bay National Park and finally I felt like I was in Africa. There were baboons, antelopes and ostriches. The baboons were so cheeky. I interrupted them attempting to break into a vehicle in there search for treasure. I also went to Simon's Town Penguin Colony where hundreds of penguins soaked up the sun. By the way penguins are nothing like Happy Feet and lots of the volunteers are covered in bruises from their nasty bites.

There is so much more I could tell you but for now I will say goodnight








3 comments:

  1. Hi Symon!

    You must be sooo excited! I just want to ask you how different is the whole whites/black interaction from the times of Apartheid?

    Adel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mon,
    Wow this is the first blog I have ever followed or been a part of. Thanks for letting me enjoy your journey with you! I am so excited for you and know you will make the most of evry moment. Cant wait for the next chapter in 'The Life of Mon! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure Adel but it is a word that is dropped often in conversation and is very much fresh in people's minds. Now there does not seem to be any obvious seperation from back and whites. I am sure I will learn more about it during my stay. I am going to the Apartheid museam so will let you know what I learn.

    Loz I am honoured for you to join me on this journey

    ReplyDelete