Saturday, March 12, 2011

What a Beautiful World

Cape Town, South Africa (day 47)



It is my final night at Aviva house in Cape Town, South Africa. I am not exactly sure how I feel right now. I do know I feel grateful. Grateful to have met the amazing, inspiring woman (and JP) at Aviva house. To have cared for and supported the beautiful, resilient children from Home of Hope and Khayelitsha. Grateful for the opportunity to have had the opportunity to explore Cape Town's splendour.

I have done and experienced so much over the last two months. I have began to forge some good friendships. I have experienced life in a township (even got a taste of culture shock). I stood inside the prison where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated for over two decades. Jumped out of the sky. I have supported children to walk, talk and read.

So much more has happened that I do not have the time to articulate. I did not realise it was possible to see and experience so much in such a short time. It sounds cliche, but this has been the most amazing experience of my life. Africa has stolen my heart.

I still haven't learnt to pronounce the click in Xhosa, nor have I climbed Table Mountain. These are just two of the things I look forward to doing when I return to Cape Town in three weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment