Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reality


Khayelitsha, South Africa (day 37)



Two years of lessons in cultural diversity seem completely superfluous. How do I go about teaching children when I cannot speak their language. I am shell shocked, exhausted and frustrated. Here in the Cape Flats there is no sea breeze; just humidity. I am working at the Masakheni Fox Educare Centre. There are over 100 children under 6 attending the educare centre. We are crammed into a building the size of a family home with the children; we are hot and sweaty.

It is frustrating when a little girl comes to me crying, speaking in Xhosa. I want to help, I want to understand but I do not know how.

This afternoon a group of tourists came to the educare centre. The children put on a show for these white strangers. After observing this I became quite saddened. Had my experience really been that superficial.

In the end it does not really matter. Now I am living and working amongst it. I am covered in dirt and sweat. My feet are bleeding and every part of me aches.

This is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment