Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas on the Ganges

The River Ganges, India

I have spent Christmas day sailing on the Ganges in India. My day started early as the sleeper train came to an abrupt halt. I wrapped a blanket around my cold bones and peered outside. It was still dark. After a delay I was alighting the train at Alanbad station. I was then shuffled into a vehicle that would take us on a two hour journey to the Ganges. We stopped for breakfast and it wasn't till then that I remembered it was Christmas day. As India is a Hindu country they do not celebrate Christmas. Just like any other day it is a fight for survival for many Indians. 

A short while later we are making our way through villages. Dirt covered children pump water from wells, carry heavy loads and tend to live stock. I think of Christmas day in Australia. Across the ocean children are tearing open their presents, flooded with momentary happiness. 

Finally after 18 hours of travelling we arrive at the Ganges. I hop aboard a small sailing boat with my new friends. Soon we are enjoying an Indian banquet as life (and death) on the Ganges floats by. I spend the remainder of the day relaxing as the motion of the vessel hypnotises me in and out of sleep. The sun sets as we arrive at a sand bank that has been selected to be our home for the night. We pitch our tents and a camp fire is lit. Christmas evening is spent around the camp fire drinking Chai and eating scrumptious food. We reflect on our journey so far and all that we have seen. I fall asleep to the sounds of the Ganges and the howling of wild dogs. Another day in India.


















Merry Christmas to all from India.

No comments:

Post a Comment