Monday, July 11, 2011

Flying Away

Sydney, Australia


My homeland always appears more beautiful the day I am leaving it behind. Even the suburbs appeared pretty this morning, basking in the dawn light. In a couple of hours I will be boarding a plane for Indonesia and my mind is racing.

It was only 56 days ago that I arrived back in Australia after my travels through Africa and Asia. I experienced and learnt so much during that time away. Coming home was a roller coaster of mixed emotions. It was a struggle to process how all I had experienced could fit into my normal life. I returned to work, and I realise now that I wasn't the same person. Living the same life was not going to fulfil me. My job suddenly became soul destroying

Last week I had a car accident. I lost control of my car on the freeway  and skidded up an embankment at 100km's p/h. The car somehow self navigated its way around a concrete wall and small trees. The paint from my car soils the concrete wall, evidence of how close I had come. My car rolled several times back down the embankment throwing me around like an out of control amusement ride. Miraculously the car landed back on it's wheels. I walked out without a scratch, the angels had protected me that day. 

But I was shaken with the realisation of how quickly it could have been all over. So as I set of for Indonesia today it is with the recent reminder of how short life can be. I will make the most of every moment 

No comments:

Post a Comment